Following his training in Dublin, Clive served his time as a curate in North Belfast followed by his first incumbency in West Belfast, in an ‘interface’ part of the city (listen for the account of the exploding bread van!).
From Belfast, he moved to his current church in Switzerland, and describes some of the challenges around the move.
He describes some of the ways he sensed God calling him to move (including the Sunday when he made his first visit to All Saints – a Sunday when there just happened to be a Northern Irish preacher in the pulpit!).
He discusses the ‘vertical’ learning curve that awaited him in arriving in Vevey – a learning curve that has continued throughout his time there. As well as the challenge of living in a new culture and parenting their children through a French-speaking school system, there was the challenge of leading a church full of strong leaders. He shares some of the ways he felt he was able to build a team, including the importance of emphasising relationships.
We also discuss some of the factors that contribute to a leader staying fresh – with particular reference to life in a ‘revolving door’ type church: Clive mentions some of the factors that have been helpful to him.
I asked him what advice he would give to a young 22 year old version of himself, heading out in training and his leadership journey. Here is the summary:
- Leadership is a long term journey, so be patient, expect to change and to grow.
- Your highest calling is to Jesus (not necessarily to his church), so never short-change your devotional life.
- The Lord is faithful: trust him!
- The Lord loves the Church more than you do!
For your reflection:
- Clive talked about the sense that God was speaking to both him and his wife in relation to their move overseas: how important do you think it is for a leader and their spouse to be on the same page in discerning God’s call?
- The move to Switzerland had implications for Clive and Yvonne’s young family: how can churches and agencies support families who move overseas, with the particular challenges that brings?
- What are some of the ways you have found to be effective in building a team?
- As you listen to Clive talk about some of the factors that have helped keep him fresh along the way, what are some of the things you have in place to help you? Should you be putting some things in place?
Next week the guest on the podcast is Edwin Ewart, principal of the Irish Baptist College.